News Release Published: September 23, 2009 by the Central Office
Contact(s): Jason Fleener (608) 261-7589Bob Manwell (608) 264-9248
EDITOR'S ADVISORY: This news release has been updated with an additional public hearing that will be held Oct. 27 in Sturtevant.
MADISON – The state Natural Resources Board today approved hearing dates and locations for proposed changes to Wisconsin’s 2010 and 2011 deer hunting season structures. The changes are based on recommendations developed by a public panel created by the Natural Resources Board and charged with finding effective and hunter-supported alternatives to earn-a-buck. The proposed changes can be found in the Natural Resources Board meeting agenda available on the DNR Web site.
The public panel included representatives of hunting and conservation groups, agriculture, county forests, university, and woodland owners. The panel’s complete report is available on the advisory committee Web site at [deerherd.editme.com [exit DNR]].
The public hearings will begin at 6:30 p.m. with an informational presentation and overview of the proposed rule. Public comments and statements will be accepted beginning at 7 p.m. The following hearing locations and dates are scheduled:
- October 14, Crivitz - Crivitz Village Hall, 800 Henriette Ave.
- October 15, Onalaska - Onalaska High School Field house, 700 Hilltopper Place.
- October 21, Madison - Lussier Family Heritage Center - Main Level, 3101 Lake Farm Road.
- October 21, Rhinelander - James Williams Middle School, 915 Acacia Lane.
- October 21, Ashland - Ashland AmericInn Conference Center, 3009 Lakeshore Drive E.
- October 26, Appleton - Fox Valley Technical College, Appleton Campus, Room C190, 1825 North Bluemound Drive.
- October 26, Eau Claire - Chippewa Valley Technical College auditorium, Room M103, 620 W. Clairemont Ave.
- October 27, Sturtevant - Suite 4, State Natural Resources office building, 9531 Rayne Road.
- October 28, Pewaukee - Waukesha County Technical College, Room C051/C057, 800 Main St.
- October 28, Spooner - Spooner High School Auditorium, 801 County A.
November 3, Stevens Point - Portage County Courthouse Annex, Conference Room 1, 1462 Strongs Ave.
The board requested an additional hearing location in the Milwaukee/Racine/Kenosha area. That hearing has been set for Oct. 27 in Sturtevant.
The public will also be able to comment online. The department will publish details for submitting online comments shortly.